Wednesday, June 9, 2010

How fun can it get?

Melting a pot of beeswax and painting the wax on brand new honey super frames and listening to the soundtrack to "Topsy Turvy"!

I'm going to put a honey super on Demeter this weekend (after peeking inside and making sure the upper brood chamber still looks as good as it did on Sunday). Instead of using the black plastic foundation that came with the frames I've poured a bit of beeswax into the channel that the foundation slips into on the underside of the top bar and then painted all of the bottom of the top bar with more wax.  The plan is that the bees will draw out their own comb in the way they want to and not in the way the pre-made foundation makes them.  I could be totally wrong, of course, but I'm going to give it a try with Demeter, the stronger more vigorous of the two hives.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment