Thursday, July 22, 2010

I am so inept!  I try to do right by my bees but it seems that I just mess things up!

This is Demeter, the stronger of my Langstroth hives.  Following the example set by the Backwards Beekeepers in Los Angeles I put empty frames in the honey super.  I thought the bees would have a great time building their own comb and, while I'm sure they enjoyed it, the comb is every which way in the super! 

So what am I supposed to do now?  My intent was for the bees to make enough honey to overwinter but I was sure looking forward for a tiny bit to harvest.  Should I leave things as they are?  Should I harvest this honey (most of it isn't capped yet so I'd have to wait awhile)?  Should I removed the frames one by one and replace them with frames that have plastic foundation in them?  Help - you beekeepers who know so much more than I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment