Saturday, April 24, 2010

The bees were more resilient than I thought!  The bees inside the nucs were so cold they weren't moving very much.  When the sun came out and the day warmed up a bit the clusters of bees began to move about.  I rigged up a little "bridge" from the nuc outside Demeter up to the entrance.  Eventually about half the bees came around and started walking into the hive!  Artemis's bees were not in such a bad way.  I opened Artemis up and got the bees that were left in "her" nuc into the hive.

Gary told me to leave the bees alone for a week or so - it's hard to keep away.  I want to take a peek! 

The photograph shows Demeter later on in the week with some bees on the landing board taking a look-see around their new home.  It had been raining so much that I put boards on top of the hives, held down with bricks, to make a little rain shelter.  The fence is made of bamboo and it there to keep Emma the Airedale from getting too close.  In her younger days she hunted bees for sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment